After a tummy tuck, most patients are eager to see how their brand new body will look. But before you get to celebrate your fabulous new look, there is still a good deal of healing and recovery to be done. Your diet is one of the fastest ways to help speed up your recovery after a tummy tuck. Morristown patients often ask us if there are certain foods that they can eat (or avoid) that would help them heal faster.
We always love helping our clients get the results they want faster, which is why we’ve put together a quick guide and a few “insider tips” on what you can eat to speed up the recovery process.
If you have excess skin on your stomach and abdomen from weight loss or pregnancy then you might be an outstanding candidate for a tummy tuck. Morristown men and women who want to finally see their true body shape should give us a call today at (973) 775-9248. As a Harvard-educated and award-winning surgeon, Dr. Comizio has built her practice on listening to her patients and working with them to develop the treatment plan that is best for them. We would absolutely love to schedule a consultation with you and Dr. Comizio so she can talk with you and figure out exactly what your concerns and goals are.
Healing Foods to Eat After a Tummy Tuck
Morristown patients recovering from a tummy tuck will likely experience some pain, swelling, and bruising. Dr. Comizio recommends resting for at least two weeks after surgery and to avoid exercise and strenuous activity for up to six weeks.
But in addition to resting, you can also help speed up the process with some food. Here’s a quick breakdown of some of the foods to actively consume to help your body heal.
- Drink water – Dehydration is a very serious issue after the tummy tuck procedure. Many patients suffer from nausea and don’t drink water which can cause them to need more in-hospital care.
- Eat protein – Meat, beans, eggs (or egg whites), and dairy products like yogurt are all high in protein which is critical for your recovery process.
- Vitamins fight infection – Get plenty of Vitamins A and C in order to fight infection. Vitamin A is found in eggs, dairy, and cod liver oil. Vitamin C is found in citrus, tomatoes, strawberries, and leafy greens.
- Vitamins reduce bruising – Arnica and Bromelain decrease inflammation and reduce bruising around the incision.
- Get some zinc – Finally, Zinc is found in grains, nuts, and many types of meat. It helps your body build new cells and will fuel your body’s recovery.
Foods to Avoid After a Tummy Tuck
Just like some foods will help you heal, there are certain foods to avoid after a tummy tuck. Morristown patients do well to stay away from these foods.
- Salt – Eating lots of salty foods will help your body bloat which is not something you want after a tummy tuck.
- Soda – Stay away from sugary carbonated drinks as these can also cause bloating and gas.
- Alcohol – Alcohol will thin your blood and make your body strain harder to heal itself. It can also interact poorly with your pain medication.
Dr. Comizio specializes in listening to her patients and working with them to reach their body goals. Give us a call today at (973) 775-9248 and we can set up a convenient time for you to come in and meet Dr. Comizio, talk with her about your concerns, and have her perform an examination. We can’t wait for you to get started towards the body of your dreams!