Do you experience constant pain, chronic headaches, upper back and/or neck pain, or even numbing in your fingers unexplained by any medical diagnosis? It may be directly correlated to your breast size – which could be adding a lot of extra weight and pressure on your body. Breast reduction surgery is one of the best solutions to provide relief.
If you choose Dr. Comizio for breast reduction surgery, she works hard to minimize scarring and for your results to be very natural and attractive.
Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty, is a surgical procedure performed to remove excess breast fat, glandular tissue, and skin so that women end up with breasts that are more proportionate to their body type, providing relief for women who suffer from daily pain.
There are several incision options Dr. Comizio may use during breast reduction surgery, depending on each woman’s individual situation.
- Anchor Incision – This type of incision encompasses the nipple and continues down the breast toward the natural breast crease. Dr. Comizio then creates an incision along the breast crease, resulting in an inverted “T” or anchor shaped breast reduction scar in the bottom portion of your breast.
- Lollipop Incision – This type of incision also encompasses the nipple but will then continue down to the breast crease and end in the natural fold. The remaining vertical breast reduction scar will be visible after surgery however usually fades significantly over time. The incision placed around the areola will be hidden within the natural color of the areola.
- Horizontal Incision – This type of incision is only placed within the natural breast fold, and patients will be left with a breast reduction scar that will be hidden within the crease.
- Liposuction Technique – This technique uses small incisions on the breast where Dr. Comizio inserts a cannula, or thin tube, and performs liposuction to remove excess fat from the breasts. In this scenario, the scarring is minimal.
As with almost every surgical procedure, some degree of scarring is inevitable after a breast reduction. Most often, breast reduction scars will be raised and red for the first weeks after your procedure and take 12 to 18 months to soften, mature, and change in color. In order to help minimize your breast reduction scars, Dr. Comizio recommends:
- Wearing the surgical tape she will apply over your incisions for the first few weeks after your procedure. This tape helps to minimize scarring if used appropriately.
- Performing gentle massage techniques on your scars once Dr. Comizio clears you in your healing progress.
- Applying moisturizing cream to your scars to help them soften and fade.
- Avoiding the sun, as direct sun exposure can make scars darker and more noticeable.
If you’ve been dealing with chronic pain from the extra weight of your breasts, call Dr. Comizio today for a consultation. Her years of experience healing women from all over the tri-state area will give you back your life: (973) 775-9248.