What is a Breast Reduction Procedure?
During a breast reduction procedure, the surgeon removes skin and tissue in the breast to make it smaller. Breast reductions are often performed when women have naturally large breasts that are painful and make it difficult to participate in an active lifestyle. A breast reduction surgery may also be suggested for women with asymmetrical breasts, as the larger breast can be reduced and/or reshaped to match the smaller one.
Types of Breast Reduction Surgeries
There are many different ways to perform breast reduction surgeries, but the most common types are:
- Vertical Breast Reduction – Dubbed the “lollipop scar,” this procedure is ideal for patients who have modestly enlarged breasts with good skin quality.
- Liposuction – If your breasts are only mildly asymmetrical, then liposuction of the larger breast might be the best option for you.
- Anchor Scar – This is the most common type of breast reduction procedure because it not only reduces but shapes and lifts. The procedure is named after the shape of the scar which is the same as the lollipop plus a scar under the breast in the crease.
Why Would I Get a Breast Reduction Instead of Implants?
There are several reasons why women with asymmetrical breasts would choose a breast reduction over a breast implant, including:
- Already having a “smaller” breast that is of the woman’s ideal or preferred size
- Having back, neck and shoulder pain from the larger breast, and not wanting to duplicate that pain on the other side
- Alleviating the need to replace a breast implant overtime, as breast implants typically need to be replaced in a woman’s lifetime
- Keeping the look natural and not noticable
If you have asymmetrical breasts, and you are ready to make a change, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Comizio to discuss your options: (973) 775-9248. During your consultation, Dr. Comizio will perform a complete examination of your breasts, and will help you come up with a treatment plan individualized to your unique needs, including what type of breast reduction technique to use.
Dr. Comizio has helped hundreds of patients with breast reductions with incredible success stories. It’s time to make a change.