Sometimes after a woman decides to have a breast surgery, the results do not turn out as planned. The surgeon may have overpromised, lacked the experience or the body may have reacted poorly to the procedure. The thought of another surgical procedure, or breast revision, can be daunting however, it can help you achieve the look you want without compromising results.
Breast revision surgery can include:
- Revising breast reconstruction after cancer.
- Increasing symmetry after breast cancer surgery by augmenting or reducing the unaffected breast.
- Revising breast augmentation results.
- Revising breast reduction results.
Dr. Renee Comizio, one of New Jersey’s top doctors for her exceptional technique and patient care, specializes in cosmetic and reconstructive breast procedures that enhance or correct a woman’s outward appearance by delivering a natural result. Dr. Comizio trained at Dartmouth and Harvard, adopting a shared decision-making model to provide the best surgical care for her patients.
PLEASE NOTE: It’s important to note, Dr. Comizio may choose to not take on a revision case due to the complexity of the revision, complications or results from a previous procedure. She will carefully consider your individual case, the safety and efficacy of the procedure and determine the best solution.
What Can Breast Revision Fix?
Some of the most common reasons for breast revision include:
- Capsular contracture: A condition that causes scar tissue to grow around the implant and show through your skin.
- Size: Finding the right implant to fit your body is challenging and you may decide that the result is larger or smaller than you had hoped. In some cases, women lose or gain weight and rethink the size of their breasts with respect to their new body.
- Leaking: This situation is more problematic and noticeable with saline implants, which cause the breast to deflate visibly. Implants that leak should be replaced to avoid additional complications and restore your appearance.
- Shifting: Often caused by a misjudgment of the size of breast pocket needed to fit the implant, implants may shift out of place and look out of place. This is more common with anatomical (gummy bear) implants because they mimic the natural breast, which is wider on the bottom.
- Aging: Even after breast augmentation, your breasts will continue to change shape as you grow older. Many women come in for a breast revision to reshape their previous augmentation after ten, fifteen, or even twenty years.
Patients can avoid a higher risk of complications by selecting an experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon.
“Love Dr. Comizio and her staff. From day one, Dr. Comizio was so easy to talk to and down to earth. I didnt feel like a patient, I felt like a friend….” Click Here To Read More Reviews
How Is Breast Revision Evaluated?
Dr. Comizio understands it’s hard to entrust another plastic surgeon with a breast revision, especially if the original surgery did not go as planned. She has developed a comprehensive exam and communication style to help patients understand their options for revision.
How Will A Breast Revision Be Performed?
A secondary procedure may create some apprehension however, it can often correct the symmetry, size, and shape that was lacking after an initial breast surgery. Depending on the results of your consultation, Dr. Comizio may make different suggestions for treatment including:
- Fat grafting: A minimally invasive procedure that transfers fat from one area of the body to another. Dr. Comizio uses fat grafting to change the contour of your breasts.
- Adjusting the size of the breast pocket: Shifting or implant rotation is a common problem that arises when the implant is not securely placed in the breast pocket. Breast revision surgery may require the enlargement or suturing of the breast pocket to prevent the implant from moving out of place.
- Replacing implants: A patient may want to replace their implants for a variety of reasons such as exchanging size, type of implant, or simply replacing older breast implants with newer ones.
Every breast revision surgery is unique based on the anatomy and expectations of each patient. During your consultation, Dr. Comizio will review your options with you and determine if you are a candidate for breast revision surgery.