When patients decide to have breast augmentation, after recovery they often experience a sense of renewal and revival post procedure and want to lose weight. Of course, their first question is: how will weight loss affect results? This is an excellent question and one that is very common for our patients. If you have had a breast augmentation or reduction and want to lose weight or if you’re considering getting implants and want to know your future options for weight loss, here are some guidelines.
Women want to look and feel as beautiful on the outside as they do on the inside. Breast augmentation or reduction can be a great starting tool to gain confidence in physical appearance in addition to eating well, exercising and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Weight Loss and Breast Augmentation
Losing weight after breast surgery is different for every woman. It depends on each woman’s physique, body composition and natural breasts. Some things to consider:
- The risk of “rippling” – For women who want to lose weight but have breast implants, the concern is that the lost weight will make your implants look deformed. Women who lose a lot of weight after getting breast implants can reveal more of the implant, which can produce a rippling effect.
- How much weight do you want to lose? If you’re average size and looking to lose 10 to 20 pounds, then you may notice some breast sagging if your breasts tended to change with weight loss before surgery.
- Think about the past – Think about how you have lost weight in the past. Did you lose a lot of weight in your breasts or was it primarily in other areas of your body? Thinking about how your unique body reacts to weight loss could give you an idea of how your breast augmentation or reduction may change with weight loss.
- Implant placement – The placement of your implant under the muscle or on top of it could also impact how your breasts look after losing weight.
- Weight loss could improve appearance – If you do lose weight, it could help your breast augmentation look better. By slimming down other parts of your body it could help your implants stand out and look fuller after your breast augmentation or lift.
Breast surgery is an important decision and should be discussed thoroughly during your consultation including what to expect before, after and during surgery. Call our office to schedule an appointment to see Dr. Comizio and ask questions. We want our patients to be comfortable, confident, and supported as they work toward living a healthy life: (973) 775-9248.