If you’ve been struggling to get rid of stubborn fat or want a little help getting your body back after childbearing, then you’ve probably considered a tummy tuck. Morristown patients love how fast a tummy tuck can get them the slim figure they’ve always wanted.
But if you’ve started looking at the tummy tuck procedure, then you most likely have some questions about the recovery process. In particular, our patients often ask us about why they need drainage tubes. Of course we’re always thrilled when our patients do research on potential procedures and come to our office prepared with a list of questions.
Take a look below at some of the reasons why patients require drain tubes after a tummy tuck. Morristown patients who are considering getting a tummy tuck should give Dr. Comizio a call today at (973) 775-9248. The first step in the process is to schedule an in-person consultation here at our offices. Dr. Comizio will talk with you about your goals, your concerns, and answer any questions that you have.
What Happens During a Tummy Tuck?
Morristown patients considering a tummy tuck are often curious about what actually happens during the procedure. We wanted to start with a quick explanation which will help you better understand why drain tubes are needed afterwards.
- Incision – Your tummy tuck will be done under general anesthesia in a hospital or an outpatient center. The first step is for Dr. Comizio to make an incision across the abdomen.
- Remove Fat and Skin – Next, Dr. Comizio will use your consultation details to guide her as she removes excess fat and skin.
- Belly Button and Tighten Muscles – Dr. Comizio will also reposition your belly button and tighten any loose abdominal muscles.
- Drains – One of the final, and most important steps is to insert the drainage tubes.
- Close it up – Finally, Dr. Comizio will close up the incision around the drainage tubes with sutures.
So Why do I Need Drainage Tubes
Your body will have a lot of healing to do after your tummy tuck. Morristown patients often require several weeks before they can get back to work. As your body heals, it will produce fluid to fill the space left by the fat and skin that was removed.
If that fluid doesn’t drain it can cause big problems for your health and for the results of your tummy tuck. Plus, drain tubes actually speed up the healing process so you can start enjoying your new, flat tummy sooner.
More Info About Tummy Tuck Drainage Tubes
The number of drains that are needed vary from patient to patient. Some patients only need one, the majority will get two tubes. The fluid that gets drained will usually be reddish colored and will collect in plastic bulbs that need to be emptied a few times per day.
We absolutely love it when potential patients call us with questions about a tummy tuck. Morristown residents who have tried all the fad diets and fitness programs with no results should give us a call today at (973) 775-9248. We can schedule a consultation so you can talk with Dr. Comizio and find out what your options are.