Trying to achieve natural looking breast implants is common among all women seeking breast surgery. The final outcome depends on the patient, their goals and their natural breasts. There are two typical placement options for breast augmentation. It is possible to have natural looking results with either option.
Implant Placement Options for Breast Augmentation
Patients undergoing breast augmentation have a few decisions to make prior to surgery. These decisions include choosing the right size, the type of implant and where to place the implant. There are two different placement options: subglandular or submuscular.
- Sub-glandular placement – In this option, the breast implant is placed just behind the breast tissue. The implant will sit on top of the chest muscles (pectoralis) but will be covered by the fat and glandular tissue of the breasts.
- Sub-muscular placement – In this placement, the implants are placed underneath the chest muscles. In this option, the implant sits under both the breast tissue and the pectoralis muscles.
So Which Placement Is More Natural?
This question depends on preference. There are several specific details that will be discussed prior to surgery including:
- Sufficient breast tissue – Small breasts may not have enough breast tissue to adequately cover the implants. Placing the implants just under the tissue may produce unnatural results, and the implant could be visible through the skin (called rippling).
- Implant size and shape – The structure and composition of the implant being used may automatically determine if they are better suited for sub-muscular or sub-glandular.
- Motion deformity – In some cases, placing the implant under the pectoralis muscle can cause the implant to become deformed when the muscles are activated. It can also cause the implants to move in the breast pocket after the breast augmentation.
When working with Dr. Comizio, every patient has their own customized plan. All options will be presented and recommended based on a patient’s physique, natural breast size and any previous surgeries. There are advantages and disadvantages for both options however each will be thoroughly explored.
The ultimate goal is to love your body and your results. Whether you have small breasts and want more cleavage or if you’ve had a mastectomy, Dr. Comizio has extensive experience, training, and research into breast augmentation and reconstruction. She has contributed essential research specifically to the field of breast reconstruction and is passionate about helping women look and feel their best. Dr. Comizio is an award-winning surgeon and has been named as one of America’s top plastic surgeons by the Consumers’ Research Council of America for five consecutive years. Patients absolutely adore Dr. Comizio and the shared decision-making system she has pioneered at her practice.
Call today for your consultation: 973-775-9248. View these case studies to hear from pervious patients.